I wanted to share with you our Serbian traditional way of dying Easter eggs - no artificial colors or dyes needed.
Put any leaves you like on the surface of the egg and carefully place them in a stocking. Boil these eggs in water full of onion skins. The result are beautiful, earthly colors and interesting patterns.
The symbolism of Easter eggs should be sought before the birth of Christ, in ancient times. Egg was given as a gift being considered a symbol of balance, creation, fertility, symbol of life and of the renewal of nature.
The red colour that is used to paint eggs for Easter, it symbolizes on the one hand the fire with its purifying power, and the blood of Jesus that has passed the cross for the salvation of the world.
The lines that are drawn on painted eggs represent:
- the Straight vertical line = life;
- the Straight horizontal line = death;
- the Double straight line = eternity;
- the Line with rectangles = thinking and knowledge;
- the Slightly wavy line = water, purification;
- the Spiral = time, eternity;
- the Double spiral = connection between life and death
(Photos taken in Bucovina)
Sarajevo in 1939
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina (by Sven Jusic)
Edvina Meta is a photographer from Tirana, Albania (source)
Double rainbow in
April 17, 2014